Sunday 7 June 2009

Guest

Hey

A few nights ago we had a very interesting man visit our house. He came to Takamatsu for Second Hand, to do a lecture at the local university about non-profit organisations. This man went to Iraq as a "human shield" at the start of the Iraq War, and as a result of that experience developed a love for Iraqi culture and its people.

In Japan, like in the West, the image many people receive of Middle-Eastern people is distorted, and our guest said that before he went to Iraq, he too was prejudiced. However, meeting the Iraqi people in person revolutionised his outlook. Apparently half of the Iraqi population is under 18 years old, and our guest really enjoyed the large number of children there.

As a result of this experience, he decided to start a charity which brings Iraqi artists to Japan, in an aim to transform Japanese people's view of Iraqi people, and to give them an opportunity to be exposed to such a different culture. He also started studying Arabic which I found amazing! His global perspective reminded me of this quote:

“The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens”

「地球は一つの国であり、人類はその市民である。」

Tomorrow night the children's class fathers and I finish the 1st workbook of the study circle sequence. I'm very excited. Because I've been involved with so many study circles (the majority of which are in the 1st workbook), I've done many sections of this workbook several times.

I've been particularly repeating parts from the 1st unit, which primarily deals with what kind of qualities we should strive to practise in our lives (eg truthfulness, kindness). I don't think you can repeat this enough though- if we all got to a stage where we could model these qualities more, you'd think the world would be a better place.
Here's a quote I particularly like, from the very first section of the workbook (below).
Every time I look at it, I feel like it keeps all my goals and actions directed towards "the betterment of the world".

"The betterment of the world can be accomplished through pure and goodly deeds, through commendable and seemly conduct."
「世の改善は清らかで立派な行いと、称賛に値する礼儀にかなった行動を通して達成できる。」
The weather's continuing to heat up here. At the moment, its averaging high-20's still, but the humidity makes everything a bit bothersome. It also makes me wonder how I'm going to transport my space-consuming ski jacket home, on the way here I wore it- but wearing a ski jacket when it's over 30 degrees and humid won't be pleasant.
My neighbourhood has been transformed into a land of emerald lakes with the flooding of the rice-fields. It's gorgeous.
Sonia

No comments:

Post a Comment